Types of Data We Collect
We collect and store the information you provide to us through your use of the Site, including:
- We may collect information from you, such as your first name, last name, and email address when you sign up to receive our emails and downloadable files.
- We may collect information from you, such as your first name, last name, email, password, and other profile information when you create an account to log in to our platforms (an “Account”). We may also retain other information on your behalf, such as files that you store using your Account.
- If you provide us with feedback or contact us via email, we will collect your name and email address, as well as any other content included in the email, in order to send you a reply.
- When you participate in one of our surveys, we may collect additional profile information.
- When you leave a comment on one of our articles, we collect your name, email address, website URL, and comment as well as your IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
Cookies and Web Beacons
To make our Site more useful to you, we may automatically collect information from you as you browse our Site, including your browser type, operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet, which may vary from session to session), domain name, referring URL, and/or a date/time stamp for your visit.
We may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Site. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your Internet browser’s help file directions.
You may opt in to tracking using cookies via the banner presented on the Site on your first visit. Declining cookies will not affect the functionality of the Site for you.
Personal information will be processed and stored for as long as required by the purpose for which it has been collected. Personal information collected for the purposes of our legitimate interests as outlined in this policy shall be retained as long as needed to fulfill such purposes.
We may be allowed to retain your personal information for a longer period whenever you have given consent to such processing, as long as such consent is not withdrawn. Furthermore, we may be obliged to retain your personal information for a longer period whenever required to do so for the performance of a legal obligation or upon order of an authority.
Once the retention period expires, your personal information will be deleted. The right to withdraw consent to data collection cannot be enforced after expiration of the retention period.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
Third Party Data Collection
Third parties that provide us with analytics or other services for the Site may also collect some of the information described above, including, IP address, access times, browser type and language, pages and products viewed, device type, device identifiers, and Wi-Fi information. Please consult individual applications’ or products’ privacy policies for more information on data collection, use, and sharing.
Third Party Services We Use
We use a number of third party services on our Site to enhance your experience, serve advertising, and measure how users interact with our Site. The following third party services are in use on our Site:
Advertising: Google AdSense
- Data Collection: Cookies and Usage Data
Google’s use of advertising cookies enables it and its partners to serve ads to our users based on their visit to our Site and/or other sites on the Internet. You may opt out of personalized advertising by visiting Ads Settings.
Analytics: Google Analytics and Facebook conversion tracking
Email Newsletter: Aweber
- Data Collection: Email address submitted by user. User must confirm intent to subscribe.
Your information is stored at the email service provider that delivers the www.kindafrugal.com newsletter, currently Aweber.com. Your information can only be accessed by those who help manage our email list in order to deliver email to those who have signed up for and confirmed their subscription to our mailing list.
All of the newsletters or emails that are sent to you by www.kindafrugal.com include an unsubscribe link. You can remove yourself at any time from our mailing list by clicking on the unsubscribe link included in every communication that we send you.
Remarketing and Behavioral Targeting: Facebook Remarketing
Social Media Networks: Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter
Tag Management: Google Tag Manager
- Data Collection: Cookies and Usage Data
If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you targeted ads on third party websites, you may opt-out as indicated below. Please note this does not necessarily opt you out of being delivered advertising. You may continue to receive generic rather than interest-based ads.
You can opt out of the DoubleClick cookie by visiting the Google advertising opt-out page. You can opt out of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt-out page. Google has additional information available about their Remarketing Privacy Guidelines and Restrictions.
You can view a list of other third party service providers who collect information, and/or opt-out of such collection of information about you, by visiting http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ or http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
If you would like more information about certain advertising practices and your choices about preventing this information from being used by these companies, visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/consumer/opt_out.asp.
How We Use Your Data
We may use your information to:
- Respond to your comments or questions and to provide customer service;
- Operate and improve our Site, operations, processes, and systems;
- Improve the quality of your experience when you interact with our Site;
- Derive demographic information about our Site users;
- Understand you and your preferences to improve your experience using our Site;
- Provide services you request and services relevant to you;
- Protect against, investigate, and deter fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity;
- Send newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials related to our Site and for other marketing purposes if you have provided an email to us for this purpose.
Creation of Aggregate Data
We may also create depersonalized or aggregate data records by excluding or changing information that makes the information personally identifiable to you. We use this data for a variety of purposes, such as to analyze request and usage patterns so we can enhance the content of our Site and improve Site functionality.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
- With your consent: We may share your personal information with your consent or, if required by law, with appropriate notice to and consent of your parent or guardian, if applicable.
- Third party service providers: We may share your personal information with third-party service providers who need access to your information to do work for us, such as to host our Site on third-party servers; to conduct quality assurance testing and data analytics on our Site; and to provide technical support and crash analytics for the same.
We may also share aggregated, depersonalized, or statistical information with third parties in compliance with applicable local laws.
Your Choices Regarding Your Data
You have several choices regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your information on our Site.
- Marketing emails. If you provide an email through your use of the Site, we may periodically send you newsletters and emails. When you receive newsletters or promotional communications from us, you will have the opportunity to “opt-out” by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the email you receive or by contacting us directly.
- Cookies. You have certain choices about the use of the cookies described above. Some web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies.
- Accessing or Deleting Your Personal Information. You may request access to or deletion of your child’s or your personal information, if applicable, by contacting us.
Your privacy matters to us. We are committed to taking reasonable steps to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
Your Rights as a Site User
- You may exercise certain rights regarding the storage and use of your personal information.
- You may withdraw your consent at any time.
- You may have your personal information deleted or otherwise removed.
- You may lodge a complaint. You have the right to bring a claim before your competent supervisory authority, subject to applicable law.
Any requests to exercise your rights can be directed to us via the contact details provided below. These requests can be exercised free of charge and will be addressed by us as soon as possible and always within one month.
Last Updated: April 1, 2020